Pushing south, about 60 miles or so from Big Sur, but William Randolph Hearst certainly did. Commonly referred to as simply San Simeon (which is the name of the town it overlooks), it is the Hearst Castle. Hearst called the estate “La Cuesta Encantada” – Spanish for “the Enchanted Hill.” Construction started in 1919, and by 1947, the hilltop complex included a twin-towered main building, three marvelous guesthouses, and 127 acres of terraced gardens, fountains, and pools. What the Biltmore Estate is to the east, Hearst Castle is to the west. The castle was opened to the public in 1958 and attracts millions of visitors a year.