Ryan Barrick fell in love with skiing at a young age. At 20 years young, he realized a normal life wasn't for him. He now travels and skis all over North America, living out of his 2013 Thor Ace 27.1 Class A Motorcoach and chasing his dreams.
Spaghetti à la RV
Spaghetti à la RV
Since moving into an RV, I have started cooking my own meals. It’s cheaper than eating out, generally healthier and you get to pick your favorite dishes. Spaghetti has always been one of mine.
My original spaghetti meal started out traditional: spaghetti and meat sauce. Basic, bland and uninspired. But it’s changed enormously after spending time in my RV with friends who are vegan or vegetarian, and way better cooks than me. They helped me explore new combinations of things, always improving my recipe over the last batch I made.
For instance, I started adding vegetables to the mix. Then, slowly, I got rid of the meat. I added peanuts, cashews and even more vegetables. My recipe evolved from traditional pasta and sauce to veggie pasta with organic sauce.
I don’t consider myself to be a picky eater, but I took what I liked best out of all the different combinations I’ve made with friends and created this healthy and filling veggie spaghetti with seven vegetables, perfect after a long day on the slopes.
- 32 oz. jar (or 4 cups) of red pasta sauce
- 1 box veggie pasta (Barilla makes a good one)
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1/2 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 cup Brussels sprouts
- 8 baby carrots, chopped
- ½ a red pepper, chopped
- ½ an orange pepper, chopped
- ½ a white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 1 tablespoon peanuts
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 large sauté pan
- 1 large pot
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Burner/Stove top
- Boil the veggie pasta as directed on the package. Chop the asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, peppers and onions into bite-size pieces.
- Next, crush up the cashews and peanuts into small pieces.
- Put all the chopped vegetables and crushed nuts into a sauté pan. Add half of the sauce to the pan of vegetables, stir and cook on medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes or until the veggies have softened.
- Combine with the veggie pasta on a plate. Add extra red sauce to suit your taste, then top it off with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and enjoy.